Annual bedding plant growers in New Jersey are invited to join the Jersey Grown program to identify and market their plants as locally grown through the Jersey Grown logo.
To participate in the program, growers must first apply for a Jersey Grown license.
To be identified as a Jersey Grown annual, plants must:
- Have enough healthy roots to hold their root ball intact when removed from their growing container.
- Have a canopy large enough to cover the soil when viewed from above and/or have a stem caliper large enough to support its normal canopy or floral display.
- Should be no taller than three times the container depth.
- Foliage should be in a normal state of growth and not overly hardened or stunted.
- Shall be free of all disease, physiological defects and physical injury.
- Containers shall be free from the presence of any foriegn plants (weeds, grasses, etc.)
- Each bedding plant package must have a care/culture tag and an identification tag correctly specifying the common name and the botanical genus and species of the plant in the package.